I love dessert. I am the friend who always orders dessert at a restaurant. I'm also a fruit dessert girl, which means summer is my season! Whether you're feeling lazy and just want a quick, easy treat, or are feeling ready to do some serious baking, check out some of my tips and ideas below when you need to get your fix.
Do the Ripe Thing
Thanks to world trade, we can find most fruits year round in the grocery store! But in the summer, I'd recommend going to your local farmer's market to pick up some seasonal finds. Check out the fruit calendar below (credit to my friend Emma for finding this one!) and pick your dessert recipes based on fruit that is in season.
- Grilled peaches: These are topped with butter, sugar, and a bit of mint. YES.
- Broiled nectarines: Mix some honey (1/3 cup) with lemon juice (2 tbsp) and brush on top of four pitted, halved nectarines. Broil for 6-8 minutes. Maybe even serve with ice cream...
- Chocolate-dipped cherries: August might be late for cherries per the fruit calendar above, but if you can find some good-looking cherries, I say go for it!
- Berries and cream: Throw some lemon juice on berries before adding a splash of heavy cream.
All the Time
- Galettes: This is one of my all-time favorites. If you're strictly adhering to the fruit calendar, try subbing blueberries for blackberries. Pro tip: Don't accidentally serve this to anyone who has a nut allergy! It's easy to forget they're in there.
- Grapes: This is on my list for September. Taking the seeds out of these grapes seems like a good thing to do while watching Bravo.
- Figs: I LOVE figs, and they're all over the grocery store right now. Please, someone make this ASAP!