As Elle Woods famously taught us, "The rules of hair care are simple and finite. Any Cosmo girl would know." While she was referring to perm aftercare, the biggest rule I follow with hair care is less is more, especially in the summer. However, as someone who is guilty of not washing her hair for days... errrr, weeks at a time, a nonstop bun starts to feel a little stale. Below are six ways to elevate your summer hair looks with limited effort.
- Twisted Bun: This simple tutorial by Lulus makes the classic bun look fresh and updated. Plus, it only takes a few minutes to complete.
- Faux Fishtail: What's a girl to do when braids are on-trend for the summer, but she cannot braid hair? Enter: This no-fuss faux fishtail tutorial by A Beautiful Mess -- a unique and chic alternative to a braid or low pony.
- Half-Up Top Knot: This look is perfect for those with shorter hair, and I love this easy-to-follow tutorial by Advice from a Twenty Something. The messier the top knot, the better.
- Chiquita: A chiquita is a scrunchie and bow combo and I LOVE these ones by Donnie. They add playfulness to any ponytail and are the perfect way to bring some flair to your beach day or summer date night outfits.
- Scrunchie: A high bun is the only hairstyle that works for me when I haven't washed my hair for 3+ days, and this scrunchie set by Slip keeps my bun looking cute. It's definitely an upgrade from the colorful scrunchies of the '90s.
- Headband: Headbands are a polished solution for getting your hair out of your face. Place one of these Free People headbands 1-2 inches away from your hairline for a pretty yet effortless look.